=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late to the party...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Late to the party... Reply with quote

So (I guess) like many Reuben fans, I've completely missed the boat. And I'm gutted. Kicking myself.

I checked them out earlier this year due to be seriously bored and remembering their name from reading about them in Kerrang when I was about 11/12, going through my RATM phase. I always thought the name was kinda of lame at the time tbh (sorry!)Embarassed .

And I've just fallen in love with them...I managed to find 'we should have...' CD a few weeks ago online and have had that on non-stop. I've been reading about them and watched all the videos on the 'tube and just aghh...can't believe I've missed them.

I love the personality-they seem really genuine,hard working yet laid back and hilarious. Not posers like so many of the bands in British rock today. And the music....well it's like an amalgamation of a lot of the great american alt rock bands that all died (without the moodiness), but with lots of fresh parts;they seem pretty unique. I'm a massive faith no more fan, and I can see certain similarities in terms of lyrical attitude, wit and music, and there's definitely a foos vibe. That said, I don't think any UK band came close to making as greater alt-rock/metal as Reuben, whilst still adding a freshness. There's not much that needs to be said about Jamie, amazing songwriter, killer frontman, and different. Jon's basslines kick ass and love the sections where it's just him. Guy is one hell of a drummer, can seemingly do anything yet doesn't go ott. The story, while there was so many good times, it seems sad they were never as well recognised as they were...I mean when I read about Christmas is Awesome not getting in the charts I couldn't believe it...it seems like the story of the band...unfortunate circumstances for an amazing band Sad

After seeing FNM and Soundgarden (bands that have meant a lot to me) I declared to my clueless mates that I won't ever be that bothered for a band to reform again. I was content in that I was lucky enough to see two of my fav bands (as I wasn't even born when they first were big). That lasted about two weeks after listening to Blamethrower.

Like nearly everyone on here, I'd love Reuben to reform, and would spend good money seeing them, but I appreciate there is a certain reluctance or reason not to do so, even more than when compared to those big 90s bands that keep coming back. Actually thinking about 90s bands I'd even say Reuben has got me properly into Helmet after listening to Jedi.....

I'm planning to go see FTA and hopefully Jon's new band to someday, and I'm glad to hear Jamie's enjoying his illustrative work...hope he's still got that 'tache.

Anyway, sorry for the massive essay, and I'm probably writing a load of rubbish which is contradictory, or barely makes sense.....but basically...Reuben are/were a quality rock band, and I've never heard much like them....they're my heroes...and there's plenty of people out there like me who will be discovering Reuben themselves over the years and becoming big fans Wink

Last edited by fnm on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm now hooked on kerbdog thanks to lenman's cover...wish i was 10/15 years older Crying or Very sad

Last edited by fnm on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with everything you said there. I properly got into Reuben around 2006/2007, and I remember they were scheduled to play in Inverness - not too far from my hometown. I was a bit hard-up for cash at the time so I thought I'd give it a miss, with my general attitude being, 'ah, I'm sure I'll catch them on their next tour'. But alas, there would be no next tour...and no more Reuben.
To this day I've never forgiven myself for passing up on the opportunity to witness them live Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Reuben All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: