=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Obtain Your Music?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Obtain Your Music?
I obtain most/all of my music from buying it on physical formats
65%
 65%  [ 23 ]
I download most of my music legally (and pay for it) but sometimes download for free from torrents, p2p networks etc.
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
I download most of my music for free, but occasionally pay for it
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
I download all my music for free
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

sad_statue_27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: How Do You Obtain Your Music? Reply with quote

All in the title.
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an option for "I buy most of my music legally and on physical formats but sometimes download torrents for free to 'try before you buy'"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sad_statue_27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was gonna put more in, but I thought it might get a bit too overloaded with options. In the case you describe, it's one of the first two (obviously), just depends on if you buy more music through downloads or physical format.

Last edited by sad_statue_27 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you do speak sense sir. I chose number 1.

I will be very saddened if anyone ticks 'I download all my music for free'. In part at least it's down to people like this that bands like Reuben have to call it a day...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sad_statue_27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love buying CDs but I think when I move out and have to start paying for food and bills and stuff, I may have to start downloading, otherwise I won't be able to afford music- it's absolutely tragic.

I think if record companies want to seriously tackle the file-sharing problem, they need to take the logical step of lowering CD prices.

Last edited by sad_statue_27 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
smithers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for rich's option. I generally either get the cd from amazon afterwards or delete it if i don't like it.
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went off to uni, I did a massive file sharing thing with my mate, but have since deleted or baught the CDs of everything I had illegally. The only things I have now that are technically illegal are radio sessions, demos, and the first three Reuben singles.

The only track I have ever downloaded is Christmas Is Awesome, having no other option. That said, I am tempted to download some classic 90's singles.
{Cap-Down}

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't downloaded anything in years.

Although i will rip friends CDs, borrow memory sticks with their music on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad_statue_27 wrote:
I think if record companies want to seriously tackle the file-sharing problem, they need to take the logical step of lowering CD prices.

I can't see that happening in a large way. Prices of CD's have been decreasing steadily year by year (I think in 2000 the average price of a chart CD album was 14 and now its 9 or something) but a threshold has been reached and the only way from here is for prices to go up up up. As demand goes down, price goes up - economies of scale and all that. Also, with ever raising taxes and fuel costs and inflation the prices will go up even more, as the retail price has to reflect costs from the label/distributer/retailer and all costs are taxed, and also petrol costs are about 20% higher than a year ago so distributors will be charging more for their services. on top of that the retailer needs profit, and they get taxed on their income.

I think a long term logical solution to illegal downloading is having people on subscription services. I worked it out, all of the money lost to digital music piracy in the UK, plus all the money generated by legit digital download services, can be covered by every internet user having a few quid monthly surcharge as part of their ISP subscription. This could enable the user to download as much music as they want each month without restriction and make up for all the music industry losses. The question then, is, how to distribute the money between major- and indie- artists fairly, which would likely call for some kind of DRM system counting the amount of times a song has been accessed, and then proportionally distributing the to artists based on play counts.

but still i'd buy cd's anyway
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGNORE ME!

Last edited by petrolmonkey on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
As demand goes down, price goes up

Isn't it as demand goes up price goes up depending on supply? Hence why CDs are cheaper than before.
sad_statue_27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
sad_statue_27 wrote:

I can't see that happening in a large way. Prices of CD's have been decreasing steadily year by year (I think in 2000 the average price of a chart CD album was 14 and now its 9 or something) but a threshold has been reached and the only way from here is for prices to go up up up. As demand goes down, price goes up - economies of scale and all that. Also, with ever raising taxes and fuel costs and inflation the prices will go up even more, as the retail price has to reflect costs from the label/distributer/retailer and all costs are taxed, and also petrol costs are about 20% higher than a year ago so distributors will be charging more for their services. on top of that the retailer needs profit, and they get taxed on their income.

I think a long term logical solution to illegal downloading is having people on subscription services. I worked it out, all of the money lost to digital music piracy in the UK, plus all the money generated by legit digital download services, can be covered by every internet user having a few quid monthly surcharge as part of their ISP subscription. This could enable the user to download as much music as they want each month without restriction and make up for all the music industry losses. The question then, is, how to distribute the money between major- and indie- artists fairly, which would likely call for some kind of DRM system counting the amount of times a song has been accessed, and then proportionally distributing the to artists based on play counts.

This is all sensible, but I personally really dislike the idea of widespread digital downloading of music, illegal or not. This may sound really pretentious, but I think music as an art form is being degraded by digitalisation- yes, the internet and downloading helps people discover bands they otherwise would be unable to, but I dunno- I love having CDs, and I think an album is a piece of art, with the packaging, artwork, music and lyrics all combining to create something much more special than a folder of audio files.
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad_statue_27 wrote:
Rich wrote:
sad_statue_27 wrote:

This is all sensible, but I personally really dislike the idea of widespread digital downloading of music, illegal or not. This may sound really pretentious, but I think music as an art form is being degraded by digitalisation- yes, the internet and downloading helps people discover bands they otherwise would be unable to, but I dunno- I love having CDs, and I think an album is a piece of art, with the packaging, artwork, music and lyrics all combining to create something much more special than a folder of audio files.

Its a bit like which would you prefer? To stream films on the internet or to watch them on DVD. Thing is a majority of people don;t care about the quality of music as it isn't as obvious as a poor pirate copy of a film.
Aidan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad_statue_27 wrote:

While I agree with all that, whether you dislike the idea or not downloading will continue to happen - what Rich is talking about is just a way of coping with the problem it presents to the music industry. It's not a case of wiping out downloading - I think it's already been proved that that just won't happen.

Downloading isn't going to destroy the music industry as we know it any time soon (mores the pity) but it DOES make things very difficult for bands like Reuben. The money bands like Reuben lose through downloading wouldn't make a dent in the profits of a band like, say, Metallica (*cough*), but it essentially stops the smaller bands even having a shot at living off their music.
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your sentiments sad statue, I'm in the same boat. The problem is, most people aren't 'musical' in the same sense that a lot of people on this forum seem to be, and for them, access to music is more a matter of convenience rather than music as an art form, or the importance of sound quality. For example a lot of kids are happy to listen to their music on their mobile phone, possibly the worst idea in the history of time. In Japan nearly 90% of ALL music sales are digital downloads to mobile phones, so be happy that our CD's are just being taken over by iTunes sales and not ringtones yet!

Petrolmonkey you're right, froma business sense it makes better sense to put the price up in relation to demand to maximise profit, which explains why in around 2000 and the couple of years after it before downloads first got 'invented' CD prices were at a peak. I was talking more about the material costs involved with CD production. It's far more economical to produce say 1000 CD's for 25p each rather than 100 CD's for 50p each, and I just reckon we're around that threshold point where the low demand is now going to push prices back up due to economies of scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: