=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Obtain Your Music?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Obtain Your Music?
I obtain most/all of my music from buying it on physical formats
65%
 65%  [ 23 ]
I download most of my music legally (and pay for it) but sometimes download for free from torrents, p2p networks etc.
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
I download most of my music for free, but occasionally pay for it
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
I download all my music for free
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major labels have too much money anyway.
I don't download music because I know I won't get in trouble, as I said, I download it because I can't afford to go out and buy it.
I still buy a lot of music, just not as much as I'd like to. I find out about too many new bands and album for my wallet to cope with.
I know you posting that thing that FT said about music being a luxury and if you can't afford it you should wait and save up, but I'm a very impatcient person. I'll eventually buy the record, i just want to be able to listen to it NOW!
birosandbluetack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to download music, but havn't in over a year or so. for all the reasons on here, it is selfish. you wouldnt steal from any other profession.
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, the Robin Hood approach. Because major labels earn bucketloads of money anyway, you think it is more morally acceptable to steal from them because they wont miss it as much? Right.

Also, just because you have a personal defect does not mean you are except from the same morals as everyone else.

EDIT: Just to clear this up in case it goes out of hand, this isn't a personal attack on you, Lee. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of your thought process as someone who downloads music for free, albeit in a very interrogation-esque way. Hope that's cool.

Last edited by chipstick on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had an old, broken bike, and someone offered you a brand spanking new one and told you you can pay him for it when ever you liked, you would turn him down and carry on with your crappy broken bike?
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see how that analogy works. A more accurate analogy would be that you, with your crappy old bike, see that a friend has left their shiney new bike unlocked outside their house. You decide, that you are going to use your friend's bike without his permission, promising yourself that you will probably pay him for it later, at some undecided date.

In this, adjusted scenario, no, I would not take the new bike.

Last edited by chipstick on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your analogy isn't how it works. I think mine is right. I don't go into the shops and shoplift the records. Some guy uploads the album onto the internet and goes 'look, here's so-and-so's album, download it from me here if you want'.

In the eyes of the law, the people who download the music aren't the ones commiting the crime (I know, I know, don't start) but it's the people who upload the music onto the internet and enable them to be downloaded are the people that get done. It's because they don't have permission or the rights to be giving it away for free. Crazy I know, but it's how it works.

But anyway, my veiws on downloading music are like i said before:

Lee wrote:
I still buy a lot of music, just not as much as I'd like to. I find out about too many new bands and album for my wallet to cope with. I'm a very impatcient person. I'll eventually buy the record, i just want to be able to listen to it NOW!

And thats the end of that.
sad_statue_27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
Your analogy isn't how it works. I think mine is right. I don't go into the shops and shoplift the records. Some guy uploads the album onto the internet and goes 'look, here's so-and-so's album, download it from me here if you want'.

That's just delegating responsibility for your theft (Edit: Sorry, I posted without actually reading the rest of your post- very disrespectful, I know, so sorry about that). I'm not condemning you, I myself have downloaded commercially available music in the past, but it is stealing, no matter how you look at it. And regardless of whether your moral judgement allows you to do that, as a songwriter and someone who would love to be able to live off playing music at some point in the future, or at least be able to make enough money to buy equipment, and afford to record etc. I wouldn't feel comfortable stealing off people who probably have exactly the same aspirations.

Like FT said in that quote, I don't think it's unreasonable for a musician to expect to be able to afford to carry on doing what they love.

Last edited by sad_statue_27 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:

So this would be like a stranger, who doesn't know your friend, offering you your friends bike that he has inexplicably obtained, and then you justify it by saying "oh I'll just pay my friend later, probably"
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not like some mega-geek who downloads GB after GB of music a day. I still buy a hell of a lot of music.

I download music illegally. End of.
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
Major labels have too much money anyway.
I don't download music because I know I won't get in trouble, as I said, I download it because I can't afford to go out and buy it.
I still buy a lot of music, just not as much as I'd like to. I find out about too many new bands and album for my wallet to cope with.
I know you posting that thing that FT said about music being a luxury and if you can't afford it you should wait and save up, but I'm a very impatcient person. I'll eventually buy the record, i just want to be able to listen to it NOW!

Actually although people think stealing from major labels is OK it really isn't For example if you average label has a band that they think will do well but it turns out to be a bad investment they will drop that band. Simple in the eyes of those who don't work in the 'industry'. HOWEVER that band will have been given an advance that they are expected to pay back. It is effectively a loan to make their album. In order for their album to sell well they will have to tour. Tours are where a label will lose a lot of money. The only time money will be made on tours is in big venues, The Hammersmith Palais (before it was removed) Brixton Acedemy etc and even then they won't make much money. But most of the time money will be lost. Again the band will not make much money off a tour. As it is they will find themselves in debt to their label and are often contractually obliged for maybe 4 albums. They might make enough to scrape by but what they are really after is their record to do well and make a pitance out of all their work.

Now thats an average label. Picture a label like Interscope to whom U2 are signed to. If U2s album doesn't sell well do you think they would be dropped? Of course not It's U2 who have Jesus (apparently) as their front man. So all this money has been poured into U2s album where Bono once again thinks hes Jesus and have a tour to indicate this but its a flop. So where does the money come from? By the label dropping young new bands and dropping them in a stinking load of arse. That is why downloading music from the bigger labels is never justified. The big boys (U2, Rolling Stones, Paul Weller, all the old cunts that do massive stadium tours) will be fine. They made their money and are generally a good source of income for the labels. But its the newer bands that suffer.

For more reading try this http://www.arancidamoeba.com/mrr/problemwithmusic.html
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrolmonkey wrote:
the band will not make much money off a tour.

There was a very interesting discussion about the price of tshirts at gigs on the FT forum. Gig t's are sold at an average of about 15-18 now-a-days, which seems like a lot, but then it is one of the few ways that bands can guarantee a profit, making up for the pittance earned actually performing the gig.

petrolmonkey wrote:
U2 who have Jesus (apparently) as their front man

Haha! Indeed.

Last edited by chipstick on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I said about the major labels was a joke. I know about how they can screw over the new bands on their roster.
For example the Vex Red/Mariah Carey incident. But thats another story for another time...
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
the Vex Red/Mariah Carey incident

The what? Do tell...
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
What I said about the major labels was a joke. I know about how they can screw over the new bands on their roster.
For example the Vex Red/Mariah Carey incident. But thats another story for another time...

Yes do tell and if you understand this sort of thing happes then why continue to effectively support it by illegal downloads.
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably not allowed to say. But bascally, blame Mariah Carey for Vex Red getting dropped from Virgin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: