=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Obtain Your Music?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Obtain Your Music?
I obtain most/all of my music from buying it on physical formats
65%
 65%  [ 23 ]
I download most of my music legally (and pay for it) but sometimes download for free from torrents, p2p networks etc.
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
I download most of my music for free, but occasionally pay for it
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
I download all my music for free
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
I agree with your sentiments sad statue, I'm in the same boat. The problem is, most people aren't 'musical' in the same sense that a lot of people on this forum seem to be, and for them, access to music is more a matter of convenience rather than music as an art form, or the importance of sound quality. For example a lot of kids are happy to listen to their music on their mobile phone, possibly the worst idea in the history of time. In Japan nearly 90% of ALL music sales are digital downloads to mobile phones, so be happy that our CD's are just being taken over by iTunes sales and not ringtones yet!

Petrolmonkey you're right, froma business sense it makes better sense to put the price up in relation to demand to maximise profit, which explains why in around 2000 and the couple of years after it before downloads first got 'invented' CD prices were at a peak. I was talking more about the material costs involved with CD production. It's far more economical to produce say 1000 CD's for 25p each rather than 100 CD's for 50p each, and I just reckon we're around that threshold point where the low demand is now going to push prices back up due to economies of scale

true but If you can't shift 1000 CD's you should probably reconsider releasing an album or EP and just do it on CDRs yourself. I don't see CDs getting more expensive as that would really kill CD sales and be the final nail in the coffin for it all.
secondtimeuser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally only ever buy stuff legally on CD, with the odd pirating binge with mates to see if I'm missing out on anything, before then trying to buy that too if I like it. And any music I don't legally own I have segregated from the rest of my collection inside my audio player.

As for downloads, I only ever really get singles/odd tracks. Would probably buy more albums if they were available in DRM-free .wav/.flac files, which is unlikely.

And as an aside, DVD/B-R quality DRM-free film downloads would be nice too...
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I mostly agree with you, Rich, I wanna pick up on this;

Rich wrote:
As demand goes down, price goes up - economies of scale and all that.

Actually, more often than not it's the other way around. Low demand often means that companies will lower prices to attract more sales, usually to rid of the remaining stock. High demand means that firms can get away with higher prices, because people will buy the products none-the-less.

Plus what you go on to talk about is actually diseconomies of scale, which are factors causing firms to increase production prices. Economies of scale is the opposite.

Also, I dislike the idea of legal downloading, but it's growth is inevitable. I will continue to buy CDs untill they become widely unavailable.

Rich wrote:
IThe problem is, most people aren't 'musical' in the same sense that a lot of people on this forum seem to be, and for them, access to music is more a matter of convenience rather than music as an art form, or the importance of sound quality. For example a lot of kids are happy to listen to their music on their mobile phone, possibly the worst idea in the history of time.

I don't play any form of musical instrument and am pretty lame on music theory, however, I will never understand people who aren't on a similar level to me when it comes to music quality. One of my mates constantly listens to music on his phone at full volume*, which sounds so horrible an tinny, yet when I try and explain this to him he is completely oblivious to this fact. He also only downloads key tracks from albums and hardly ever listens to full albums through. I just don't get it.

It's people like him who are causing this musical shitstorm.

*as you may have guessed, he's black, which goes some way to explain it

Last edited by chipstick on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download alot of music illegally. Thats only because my wage packet doesn't allow me to buy it anymore.

I try to buy as much music as I can, preferably on vinyl if I can. Yes, I am that much of a snob.
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same arguement my mate uses, "I can't afford it, so I download it for free". I'm sorry, but this is a load of shit. As important as music is, it remains a luxury product, not a commodity. If you were staving to death, then stealing food would be morally acceptable, but the same arguement cannot be applied to products not essential for living. So you can't afford something you want? Well tough shit, that's life.

FT makes some great points in an interview about this;

Quote:
"The deep underlying concern is that we’re breeding a generation of kids that don’t understand about putting money into the equation. You get kids who come to shows who download the album for free, they hit me up trying to scam guestlists, and then they come to the merch stand and ask if they can get anything for free. You reach a point where it’s just like "Listen, this all costs money”. The people who really fucking make me want to stab everyone in a ten mile radius is the people who try and ideologize Bit Torrent and go on about how music should be free, my fucking reply to that is “Do you want to make recording studios and instruments and strings and session musicians and fucking petrol for our van and van hire and tour manager fees and venue hire free, then yeah, then we’ll talk. But in the mean time, fuck you.” It’s not just that I put my time and my whole fucking life into this, I put a lot of money into this as well, and it’s not fucking unreasonable of me to expect to earn a living.

I’m sorry, I’m ranting here, but I could earn four times as much with my fucking eyes closed. Musicians can scrape by, they always have, but it’s getting harder. All this shit about how “we’re trying to hit the major labels” It doesn’t hit the major labels; they just don’t pay artists as much. But like I say, everything’s changing and it’ll be interesting, but that’s the thing that really f#cks me off. I saw a kid today wearing a t-shirt that said ‘Steal Music’ and I just wanted to go and punch him out. Billy Bragg put it very well, he said “I could go round your house and nick your stuff; it doesn’t make it right, does it?”

Haunted Devil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On bands I know I love and enjoy I'll buy it pretty much as soon as it's out, unless I have financial issues.

On bands I'm a bit iffy on I'll buy them eventually, but there's no huge rush.

On bands who've released good stuff, but last time they released something it turned out shit, then I try before I buy.

If it's a band I've never heard of before, I again try before I buy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chipstick"[It's people like him who are causing this musical shitstorm.

*as you may have guessed, he's black, which goes some way to explain it[/quote]

Shocked
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on, how many black guys do you know who don't listen to hip-hop really loudly on their mobiles?
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipstick wrote:
Oh come on, how many black guys do you know who don't listen to hip-hop really loudly on their mobiles?

Thats a fair point. To be honest that doesn't really offend me or anything. I was just doing it for the hell of it.
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting offered to me for free. I'm hardly going to turn it down. I'm weak willed.
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. if some robbers came running out of a jewlery shop and offered you some of the loot, would you take it? (assuming that somehow you can guarantee not getting caught)
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck yeah! Why wouldn't you?
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you work on the principle that doing anything is fine, so long as you don't face the consequences?
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not anything.
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But downloading music illegally is fine because you won't get in trouble for it? Regardless of the potential monetary loss you are incurring to the band, label and distributers by not paying for music and therefore encouraging others to do the same? It's ok by you, because you're not getting in trouble, other people can suffer for your personal gain?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: