=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supporting Sum 41 in February/March?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
james

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yees be looking for the true meaning of the 'jumping the shark', i'm sure wikipedia could explain it better than I. Clearly, it is derived from Happy Days. However, it can be found everywhere. For example, that episode of the simpsons where it turns out Skinner isn't really skinner...? jumping the shark.

I guess Jay/Bob strike back is Smith getting the speedboat revved up, and the life jacket on. Clerks two is the entire leap though.

Im off to find more jumping the shark moments! What ones can you think ov?

Aidan wrote:
Chipstick: Destroyer of dreams
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
If yees be looking for the true meaning of the 'jumping the shark', i'm sure wikipedia could explain it better than I. Clearly, it is derived from Happy Days. However, it can be found everywhere. For example, that episode of the simpsons where it turns out Skinner isn't really skinner...? jumping the shark.

I'm sure the Simpsons jumped the shark long before that. even Harry Shearer said that the last few seasons were the worst by far.
Steph

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:

Im off to find more jumping the shark moments! What ones can you think ov?

the 3rd matrix, spiderman and pirates of the carribean films. and many others...cant think of right now.
fuzzle3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Joey" should never have been created. Horrible. Horrible program Sad
chipstick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Disney sequel bar Toy Story 2.
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you all missed the point on the whole 'Jumping the shark' phenomena. Its not just as simple as, that was a terrible idea only conceived to squeeze more money out of paying punters as with many sequels, but its the obvious desperation of writers to come up with such an idea to try and keep a series going which often results in a ridiculous idea that ultimately makes the series lose its integrity to such an extent that it can never recuperate to its former glory ever again, such as the idea that it got its name from where in Happy Days, the Fonze literally jumped over a shark on water skies.

Its something that leaves viewers thinking what the fuck. They should have just called it a day and bowed out with grace.
CloudDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipstick wrote:
Every Disney sequel bar Toy Story 2.

Which is the greatest film of all time
soapy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
I guess Jay/Bob strike back is Smith getting the speedboat revved up, and the life jacket on. Clerks two is the entire leap though.

I thought Clerks 2 was better than J&SB Strike Back, but both are rather terrible.

Metallica jumped the shark on the Black Album tour. It was so big and so good that after that everything has paled in comparison and they should probably have called it a day some time ago.
james

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soapy, PetrolMonkey - y'all get it Cool

Aidan wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SmilingInsincerely

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S:- Made a slight error when I mentioned Shambles as part of the Newcastle setlist. Twas Wooden Boy. My bad.

And, I think Clerks 2 is a good film. Smiths dialogue has always been the measure of his films, and Clerks 2 is still filled with the same inane no-pause-for-breath poignant dialogue as all of his other films.

He's one of the only genuinely original screenwriters out there, and just because his scripting never strays far from his formula doesn't reduce that. That's what he does, and he does it better that anyone else.

Personally, I think Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back is by far the weakest film, but it's still a great laugh.

Dante and Randall are still exactly the same guys with exactly the same train of thought conversations. I don't see how or why people dislike 2 so much. It isn't 'Clerks', by any stretch, but isn't that how people always view the debut?

I'm in a minority amongst my friends, in that Mallrats is my favourite Smith film. Brody Bruce is one of the greatest screen characters of all time.
Craig "Nice Baby" Fairbairn says :- "I can't breathe this atmosphere, wait til I get out of here. Cause I have wasted year after year, and smile I may, but it's insincere my dear..." Thank you Jamie for giving me the words to express my thoughts...
chipstick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POST Scripts go at the end of text.

...sorry, I'm a stickler.
secondtimeuser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that "P.S." was a PRE-Script Razz
SmilingInsincerely

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was a Post Script, referring to my earlier post, within which I had mistakenly affirmed that Reuben played "Shambles" at the Newcastle show.

I was Post Scripting that post.

I apologise if the use of the P.S upset your delicate grammatical sensibilities.

I feelz sch a noob. Man I got Pwned. LoL. LMAO. etc etc etc.

Cool

*edit* I have however just realised that I described the dialogue in Clerks 2 as "Inane" and "Poignant" in the same sentence....

I am jacks appreciation of Irony.
Craig "Nice Baby" Fairbairn says :- "I can't breathe this atmosphere, wait til I get out of here. Cause I have wasted year after year, and smile I may, but it's insincere my dear..." Thank you Jamie for giving me the words to express my thoughts...

Last edited by SmilingInsincerely on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
james

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmilingInsincerely wrote:

I am jacks appreciation of Irony.

We have a winner Cool

Aidan wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Live All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: