=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You can't blame them for trying...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondtimeuser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this t'other day...the boys have already made all the money they're ever likely to make from that version of SOTP as all the copies of the single sold out yonks ago (and if they decide to put it on an EP/whatever in the future, it'll probably be a razzier new version such as the one on their MySpazz a while ago).

Buying it for the obscene amounts it goes for on eBay isn't going to benefit them, only the person selling it.

So (and I can't quite believe I'm writing this), is much harm going to come from making it more widely available? Yeah it was (very) dodge of those guys to put it on their site, but surely it's a way of getting people to hear a song they may not otherwise hear?

And halfway through writing that I remembered the video for it is still available on t'website, so people can hear it. And I have no idea where this paragraph is going. But balls if I'm going to the effort of deleting all this, aha.
Lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its just the fact that they put it up for free download when they dont have the right to.
chipstick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying. From a legal perspective the deleted singles are Reuben's intellectual property, so no one but their old or current label had the right to distribute it. But it is the morality up for debate here. While you are right in saying that Reuben, nor Bossmusic (SOTP, Stux) or Badmusic (LSHO) are going to make any more money out of the limited batch of singles, obtaining the songs illegally means a potential lack of sales should the songs ever be re-released.

On a lighter note, it's so much nicer to have the real thing than a copy or illegal download, in my opinion.

All the same, it is unfortunate that us later fans can only obtain the early singles by paying inflated prices on eBay.
secondtimeuser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipstick wrote:
On a lighter note, it's so much nicer to have the real thing than a copy or illegal download, in my opinion.

All the same, it is unfortunate that us later fans can only obtain the early singles by paying inflated prices on eBay.
Completely agreed. 20odd on LSHO made me wince a bit, and now it's only SOTP that I don't have of all the bands main releases.

That all said, SOTP and Wooden Boy both have videos, so the audio can be stole from those. And iirc Eating Only Apples isn't drastically different from the album version, just slightly less polished.

I'm just glad I'm not trying to obtain the 65dos back-catalogue, Unreleased 3 went for 110 on eBay yesterday, and I think Unreleased 1 went for similar money. Scary stuff.

Last edited by secondtimeuser on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
chipstick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondtimeuser wrote:
I'm just glad I'm not trying to obtain the 65dos back-catalogue, Unreleased 3 went for 110 on eBay yesterday, and I think Unreleased 1 went for similar money. Scary stuff.

It is insane how much people are prepared to pay for rare albums. Slipknot's first release, Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat. has gone for up to $250!
{Cap-Down}

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send More paramedic's first ever tape demo (2 WHOLE sides of zombiecore) is going for 3!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biffy Clyro's first EP 'thekidswhopop...' tends to go for a few hundred squids now

If SOTP was reaching that amount, I'd still never sell it. Cause I'm a sad little obsessive

http://www.myspace.com/alphasignal7
http://www.myspace.com/gapsinsound
http://www.last.fm/user/aleximusprime/
james

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexis wrote:
Biffy Clyro's first EP 'thekidswhopop...' tends to go for a few hundred squids now

Weirdly enough i've heard it, and it's Gash. Some people are tubes.

Aidan wrote:
Chipstick: Destroyer of dreams
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Haunted Devil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overpriced rare albums are silly. In my personal opinion after an album/single/EP has been released and there's no chance in the near future of it being re-released the band should place it onto their site as a legal download for free (such as Reuben did for 'Betrayed') or place it for download on their site with a set fee.

That way people wouldn't get ripped off, and would only be paying to own the CD, the case, and the artwork to come along with it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunted Devil wrote:
after an album/single/EP has been released and there's no chance in the near future of it being re-released the band should place it onto their site as a legal download for free (such as Reuben did for 'Betrayed') or place it for download on their site with a set fee.

But then fewer people would buy the physical release, and would just wait however long for it to be downloadable free.
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipstick wrote:
Haunted Devil wrote:
after an album/single/EP has been released and there's no chance in the near future of it being re-released the band should place it onto their site as a legal download for free (such as Reuben did for 'Betrayed') or place it for download on their site with a set fee.

But then fewer people would buy the physical release, and would just wait however long for it to be downloadable free.

Maybe when a physical format is officially 'Sold out' then bands could make the downloads available for a price but cheaper than the cost of the CD or whatever. Making the downloads available for free just encourages people to ignore the value of music, after all if they can get this song for free, why shouldn't they be able to download that album for free as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chipstick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
Maybe when a physical format is officially 'Sold out' then bands could make the downloads available for a price but cheaper than the cost of the CD or whatever.

Legal downloads are already cheaper than a new CD, generally.
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipstick wrote:
Rich wrote:
Maybe when a physical format is officially 'Sold out' then bands could make the downloads available for a price but cheaper than the cost of the CD or whatever.

Legal downloads are already cheaper than a new CD, generally.

Yeah, I meant significantly cheaper though, a third of the price or whatever. i reckon its a good idea
pandaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I'd love to see proper downloads of sold out singles, threre are tonnes of fans who come in later in the game to a band yet don't want to/ can't afford to pay a tonne of money, none of which actually goes to the band, to hear their early stuff

In this case I'm especially biased though - I really want copies of Scared of the Police, Woden boy etc.
Number One For New Music In Cambridge
Haunted Devil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipstick wrote:
Haunted Devil wrote:

Yes, but it'd be done a few years down the line, just like with Betrayed. So the people who do hang around for that long must be dedicated fans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Reuben All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: