=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spam bots -FAO: RIC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Battle of Britain



Age: 30
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 362
Location: Windsor/Portsmouth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Spam bots -FAO: RIC Reply with quote

Ric you should make it so users have to confirm by e-mail in order to have their account activated it's the only way to get rid of these bloody things, I know I had it happen to one of my forums before
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sofy



Age: 33
Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Posts: 1921
Location: Dumfries/Falkirk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're going crazy today with the spamming!
_________________
My heart is held together with string and sellotape.
I always believed in futures
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rousetafarian



Age: 35
Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 224
Location: frimmers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally got caught out, i clicked on a post that one of the spammers has made, which followed a comment on something id written.
its given my computer a right shitty virus, i cant get rid of it!!

what do i do?! buggers!

any help appreciated

Chris out
_________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

www.myspace.com/holdyourhorseisband
www.myspace.com/Jenniferyellowhat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Battle of Britain



Age: 30
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 362
Location: Windsor/Portsmouth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rousetafarian wrote:
i totally got caught out, i clicked on a post that one of the spammers has made, which followed a comment on something id written.
its given my computer a right shitty virus, i cant get rid of it!!

what do i do?! buggers!

any help appreciated

Chris out

errr try
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hempy



Age: 32
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 2990
Location: Guildford/Canterbury Uni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spam bots -FAO: RIC Reply with quote

Battle of Britain wrote:
Ric you should make it so users have to confirm by e-mail in order to have their account activated it's the only way to get rid of these bloody things, I know I had it happen to one of my forums before


it is e-mail confirmation, idiots are manually doing this. sad i know.
_________________
<@ZoFreX> goddammit
<@ZoFreX> I forgot the definition of irony
<@ZoFreX> so I went to look it up on Wikipedia
<@ZoFreX> but Wikipedia is down
<@ZoFreX> AND I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THAT'S IRONIC OR NOT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ric
Administrator


Age: 37
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 2403
Location: Haslemere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after further investigation a little while ago, it seems that these are spam bots.. but they're capable of bypassing ALL of the registration protection (email confirmation, stupid letters in picture thing etc).

it's actually been in the news as a problem for most forum software.

mike and i have been looking at some more anti-spam enhancements. we'll include these next time the forum is upgraded. for the mean time please do NOT reply to spam bot posts as it makes it harder for me to spot and remove them.

i'll remove them as soon as i see them - normally within a day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ric
Administrator


Age: 37
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 2403
Location: Haslemere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the spamming continues at the volume it has for the last 12 hours i'll look at changing the email confirmation so that a mod/admin has to do it, not the user.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Battle of Britain



Age: 30
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 362
Location: Windsor/Portsmouth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ric wrote:
if the spamming continues at the volume it has for the last 12 hours i'll look at changing the email confirmation so that a mod/admin has to do it, not the user.

nah that's a really annoying setup for users, if you have either a word confirmation in the sign up process or a confirmation via e-mail setup that usually works
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ric
Administrator


Age: 37
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 2403
Location: Haslemere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the post previous to the one you replied to - these bots can deal with user email confirmation and "word in picture" confirmation.

we have both of these things turned on and have done for months
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
colour_golden
Administrator


Age: 36
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Posts: 1836
Location: Hull - UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the posts are also actually people getting paid per post so if we did move to a MOD user account activation system we would have our work cut out for us.
_________________
"Everybodys dead dave, Everybody is dead dave!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
ric
Administrator


Age: 37
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 2403
Location: Haslemere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really, it's pretty obvious from these people's user profiles that they're not reuben fans.

moving to admin activation is a last resort and a move i don't want to make as it will result in extra work for me (and mike). however, if the anti-spam hacks that are available don't work or require too many changes to the forum, it'll become necessary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mark




Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we have a "report this post" feature?

if we did us humble users could report all the spam we see and make it easier for you guys..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ric
Administrator


Age: 37
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 2403
Location: Haslemere

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea - unfortunately "report this post" doesn't come as standard.

if people don't reply to the posts, they'll all show up in "Show posts since your last visit" which is where i look for them Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Battle of Britain



Age: 30
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 362
Location: Windsor/Portsmouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ric wrote:
read the post previous to the one you replied to - these bots can deal with user email confirmation and "word in picture" confirmation.

we have both of these things turned on and have done for months

ah right sorry didnt see the other posts, it can't be bots it must be manual some total cleft must be doing all the sign up stuff then setting the bots loose
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich



Age: 33
Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 2255
Location: Londinium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle of Britain wrote:
ric wrote:
read the post previous to the one you replied to - these bots can deal with user email confirmation and "word in picture" confirmation.

we have both of these things turned on and have done for months

ah right sorry didnt see the other posts, it can't be bots it must be manual some total cleft must be doing all the sign up stuff then setting the bots loose


seriously dude, you gotta read posts before you write a reply especially if you started the topic..


ric wrote:
after further investigation a little while ago, it seems that these are spam bots.. but they're capable of bypassing ALL of the registration protection (email confirmation, stupid letters in picture thing etc).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Website All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group