=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RACECAR vs. VERY FAST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

C'mon, which is better then?
Racecar Is Racecar Backwards
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Very Fast, Very Dangerous
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

EwanSmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: RACECAR vs. VERY FAST Reply with quote

The reasons for this poll is because.
personally, I am very interested as to which one everyone prefers.
Now that you have all had a good chance to listen to VFVD properly & compare it with Racecar equally.

At first I depised VFVD. I was utterly dissapointed. I felt it didnt even come close to matching Racecar or everything else Reuben have done. In everyway possible.
I posted a while back ripping the shit out of it.
I got flamed and told VFVD was "awesome" and I was just confused.
But sure, after a few months of it ringing in my ears I guess its not all that bad.Some of it.
Certain songs on it I still cannot listen to though.
I find them embarrassing.
There just not what I expected at all from Reuben.
I guess I just dont like change.
& cheesey choruses.

If I havnt known of Reuben before VFVD,
I feel theres a very slim chance id of been interested in the band at all at this very moment.

Racecar remains the favourite record I have ever come across in my life.
Iv never heard anything so complete.
Its fucking incredible.
VFVD is far too straightforward and "easy" if you like, for me. Sure you can argue theres a few decent songs on it such as "some mothers", "return of the jedi" etc and I agree.
& you can argue that VFVD is a lot more "fun" and easy going than racecar.
Its just the way Racecar comes together. Those that have listned to it from start to finish will know exactly what I mean.

Another thing I dislike about VFVD is the content is abit over personal.

The lyrics are abit too obvious.
& not exactly complex.

I feel Reuben have lost that exciting underground cult they had going on in the old days. The new record has brought in new fans with different tastes to the likes of some of us.
But i just dont think i'll ever feel the same about this band.

Unless the next cd is fucking mindblowing.

Fingers crossed.

gah!

I feel you kids will stamp on my opinion anyway.

But I think its just a matter of good taste to be honest.

=]

X
CHrispy(fuckloggingin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel you man. You feel like Reuben is getting a little less personal and more of a bigger band. You can't fight that though. Reuben deserve it.

And VFVD is an AWESOME album, sure you're right it is ALOT simpler. But Reuben have never been about constantly confusing/difficult song structures. Some of the songs on Racecar I love but I feel tracks from VFVD would beat hands down. At the end of the day it's all down to personal opinion. And you have to respect that certain people will like Racecar and certain people will like VFVD...that's different strokes for you. Smile

Reuben should appreciate that they can cross such a broad spectrum of styles and have songs that some people adore and some others hate, while at the same time still loving other material. It's a mixed bag. You never wanna hear a band that does the same thing all the time!

You never know, next album could be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Who knows, it's all up to what the boys want. And they're doing well.

I remember the first time I met Jamie I was pished and one thing I said to him was "Don't EVER change" and I don't think they have. That rocks. That's why I love their music. I'd love to buy the Lenman a pint one day to thank him for the amazingness him & Jon and Guy have created.

LONG LIVE TEH REUBEN.
colour_golden(work)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i remember Jamie saying once in a interview, in response to the question "what advice would you give to people just starting out in bands" I think he said "if people like us can do it then anyone can, just make music that makes you happy and have a good time"

Which i think is a good statement, sure hes writing for an audience but hes also writing songs for himself.
soapy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i really enjoyed VFVD right from the start, maybe its because i'd heard about half the songs live and in soundchecks before the album came out and knew what to expect but i really love them.
they're both pretty different albums but they're both very much reuben albums.

i'm not sure what you mean about them losing their exciting undergroundness, i would love them to get bigger and bigger, sure eventually you might lose some of the personal touch of being able to go over and being able to chat before they play, but they've worked their asses off for years and deserve all the success they can get.
and the gigs i went to in 2005 were the biggest and best reuben shows i've ever been to, it feels so good to here a couple of hundred people screaming the words back at the boys.
matt d

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find racecar is such a disjointed listen because of all the styles from different eras of reuben put together......vfvd works better because it has a certain 'vibe' consistent throughout.

That said, racecar has stuff like fall of the bastille, simt, no one wins the war and missing fingers which alone make it superior to vfvd, despite the mank production
jellofish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello. i just wanted to air a few opinions that tend to conflict with most people's opinions on these albums

1. the production on racecar REALLY isn't that bad

2. it isn't really a disjointed album. lots of people say they like VFVD because it 'flows better', but i think this is nonsense. i don't think anyone would think this if they didn't know that VFVD was written over a shorter period. VFVD has just as much variation as racecar, if not more.

3. cheesey choruses? will everyone get over the fact that reuben wrote some slow songs? oh no, they said 'love' in a song, how terrible. and as for these songs being an attempt at 'selling out' or 'playing safe'...for a band with a reputation for complex timings and hard edges, writing a ballad is hardly the safe option!

4. if you're disappointed that the songs on VFVD are 'simpler' or 'not the same as racecar', then listen to racecar again, or at the drive in or something. i think it's great that they've done two different sounding albums.

5. No, nothing else. discuss?
veryexcellent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as i love VFVD, which believe me is a lot, everytime I listen to racecar i'm reminded of just how amazing it is. And although vfvd has some killer tracks and is a more complete album, if i had to choose one i would prob go for racecar...but only just.
briefrespite

Location: Dawlish DEVON [holiday destination of fat scallies everywhere]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted vfvd because it has a better flow, and feels whole.

racecar still has a big place in my heart though. and if i wanted to listen to just one song, i'd probably whack on that cd.

i think the personal lyrics are the way songs should be written. s'what you know most about/have best insight into innit.
Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racecar...just because its basically a reuben greatest hits cd
matt d

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jellofish wrote:

Its not terrible, its not like the songs hugely suffer because of it, but there are just aspects of it which really bug me, whereas vfvd is just spot on. The drum sound on it is immense.
dsmyth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colour_golden(work) wrote:
I think i remember Jamie saying once in a interview, in response to the question "what advice would you give to people just starting out in bands" I think he said "if people like us can do it then anyone can, just make music that makes you happy and have a good time"

Which i think is a good statement, sure hes writing for an audience but hes also writing songs for himself.

I couldn't agree more - I was just about to put that...

matt d wrote:
jellofish wrote:

Its not terrible, its not like the songs hugely suffer because of it, but there are just aspects of it which really bug me, whereas vfvd is just spot on. The drum sound on it is immense.

That's what I thought when I first got Racecar, but now I've grown to really like that sound - it's a bit more live. I really love the production of the drums on the single version of SIMT - the toms sound sweet.

I've plumped for Racecar, but it's a toughy. I think it's taken a lot of time to get used to VFVD - the only reason I've chosen Racecar is because I love every song on that, whereas VFVD still has one or two that I'm yet to grow really fond of...

If you look at the poll results, you can see just how close it is.

http://ladyrain.co.uk | http://audioscrobbler.com/user/dsmyth/ | http://myspace.com/drumminbeatsstrummin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As silly as it may sound i honestly think i prefer listening to Pilot out of the 3 it has such a raw edge about it!
Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your throwing Pilot into the equation then yeah. definatly Pilot.
its the best Reuben cd there is!
Matt/Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes to Pilot. Those five songs (including Shambles) are in my humble opinion Reuben at their very best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they could release an album full of Pilot quality songs, then it may possibly be the greatest album ever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Releases All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: