=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VFVD lyrics......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
=Dave=

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: VFVD lyrics...... Reply with quote

yo! everyone seems to be enjoying the album then, that's cool! ive been a reuben fan for ages. Buut...there is one little gripe i have with the record, and it's really bugging me. it sounds like jamie dislikes being in the band! most of the songs are about wanting out to get a steady wage, and i really don't fucking agree with the lines 'get down here on the train, lean a little closer and il explain, you dont stand a FUCKING CHANCE!' when hes going on about fans not understanding the fact that he aint got no money cos hes in a band. he whines 'if youre thinking soo, soo, you dont know'. well, sir, i may not know what you know, but i would 100% give my testicles to be in the position your in sonny jim. and you can throw your toys out of the pram all you like about that, cos iv been struggling in bands for years and would fucking Treasure the exposure your getting and the borderline-religious way your fans treat you. you may be angry cos you CANT STOP NOOOOOWWW!! I WANT TO SLEEP BUT I CANT COS IM WORKING ON A LABEL-FUNDED NATIONALLY-AVAILABLE RECORD OF MY OWN SONGS! show a little respect and savour it mate. oh yeah, same on 'drum n bass'....hes once again moaning about what comes with being in a successful band. stop it, stop it now! more freddy kreugers next time please, if you must moan. at least the lyrics to that song and the choon itself were light hearted and bouncy, and the struggle in that song was one that bands like mine can relate to. all this 'id rather work in an office' bollocks just aint Reuben!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There only songs dude.
veryexcellent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like one song and he said in an interview that he wrote it when he was at a bit of a low. I think its good that he write about things that he cares about, and has the guts to say it.

Also isn't freddy K about the record industry aswell.
Alexis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie may sound like being in a band's a shit business, but then that's because IT IS Razz

They get paid hardly anything, they have to travel all over the country, and they earn a pound for every album they sell, even though if they hadn't written the songs there wouldn't be an album to sell in the first place!

I'm sure the guys love being in the band, you can tell when they play live, or if you chat to them, how much they've loving being in Reuben. But they work their arses off, they have parttime jobs to fill the gaps, they drive all over the country, and they're not really earning much through it. And think about it, they've been doing this constantly for 3 or 4 years now. Most signed bands get rich, burn out and fade away in that time.

I really love the lyrical content in the new album. Beats singing about love and loss all the bloody time, like most bands do...

(and it makes me laugh this guy is posting as a guest to have a bitch. That's pretty pathetic and pussy really...)

http://www.myspace.com/alphasignal7
http://www.myspace.com/gapsinsound
http://www.last.fm/user/aleximusprime/
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not saying he's unhappy in a band, he's saying the record industry is shit. Which it is.

Just because your bands haven't 'made it' doesn't mean Jamie's not allowed to strive for a better station in life, maybe enough money to give up his job in a chip shop, and write songs about it if he wants. The concepts are generally known as free speech and capitalism, it's what our society's built on. You don't like it, go to China.
Alex Ver 1.0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if Jamie sings about cooking the perfect battered sausage and chips. The things he covers are real for him, and because of that he can put all his emotion into it. And he is a great lyricist.
I feel some of ROTJ is a bit tongue in cheek- black and sarcastic, like the "Helmet rip-offs" bit. It just feels like a "Well, it just had to be said" song. It wouldn't be healthy if Jamie covered subjects that weren't genuine for him.
carebear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VFVD lyrics...... Reply with quote

=Dave= wrote:
yo! everyone seems to be enjoying the album then, that's cool! ive been a reuben fan for ages. Buut...there is one little gripe i have with the record, and it's really bugging me. it sounds like jamie dislikes being in the band! most of the songs are about wanting out to get a steady wage, and i really don't fucking agree with the lines 'get down here on the train, lean a little closer and il explain, you dont stand a FUCKING CHANCE!' when hes going on about fans not understanding the fact that he aint got no money cos hes in a band. he whines 'if youre thinking soo, soo, you dont know'. well, sir, i may not know what you know, but i would 100% give my testicles to be in the position your in sonny jim. and you can throw your toys out of the pram all you like about that, cos iv been struggling in bands for years and would fucking Treasure the exposure your getting and the borderline-religious way your fans treat you. you may be angry cos you CANT STOP NOOOOOWWW!! I WANT TO SLEEP BUT I CANT COS IM WORKING ON A LABEL-FUNDED NATIONALLY-AVAILABLE RECORD OF MY OWN SONGS! show a little respect and savour it mate. oh yeah, same on 'drum n bass'....hes once again moaning about what comes with being in a successful band. stop it, stop it now! more freddy kreugers next time please, if you must moan. at least the lyrics to that song and the choon itself were light hearted and bouncy, and the struggle in that song was one that bands like mine can relate to. all this 'id rather work in an office' bollocks just aint Reuben!

i think the answer is in the very lyrics you complain about my friend. jamie says 'if you're thinking so? you don't know'... and clearly you ARE thinking 'so? what right does he have to be angry? they're in a great position' and this is because YOU DON'T KNOW. however cracking you think being in a 'nationally funded' band might be, you really won't know until you've tried it. will you? it's very silly of you to say 'jamie's got it brilliant - how dare he complain...'

"if you're thinking so? you don't know"
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well called.
veryexcellent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VFVD lyrics...... Reply with quote

carebear wrote:

i think the answer is in the very lyrics you complain about my friend. jamie says 'if you're thinking so? you don't know'... and clearly you ARE thinking 'so? what right does he have to be angry? they're in a great position' and this is because YOU DON'T KNOW. however cracking you think being in a 'nationally funded' band might be, you really won't know until you've tried it. will you? it's very silly of you to say 'jamie's got it brilliant - how dare he complain...'

"if you're thinking so? you don't know"

Well Said, Give that man a cookie.
=Dave=

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

ah, a fine debate! thanks for ur input, uv opened my eyes slightly. i guess im clinging on to the rock n roll dream aint i! im sorry but i cant help it; i still think itd be fucking Ace, chip shop and all! lucky buggers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Releases All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: