=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 track sampler review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: 2 track sampler review Reply with quote

Ok so I wasn't very pleased that my university's student magazine (Cardiff University-Quench Magazine) thought that the aforementioned disc was a single... this is what they said:

"British 3-piece Reuben return with this eardrum-meddling double-assault. The first track isn't bad, but it's in the re-jigged Let's Stop Hanging Out that Reuben show their charmingly schizophrenic side. With vocals that start as sweet as Sunny-D and end up as ugly as the frontman himself. 7/10"

Fucking indie magazines. They're so far up The Others' collective arses in this issue too. Crying or Very sad
alan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How DARE they call jamie ugly, there is somethig teribly wrong with that review and not only is sunny d mank and animal tested, but the nobs culdnt even tell the difference between a sampler and a single.

Utter discrace. also if you read into the press stuff on the site,they seem to only post the bad reviews! i guess weve got all the good stuff on here anyway though.

BASTARDS, but theyre ugly. Bang Head
soapy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job they took the time to read that it says its a promo on the sleeve Rolling Eyes and its called "two songs for free"
personally id have given it more than 7 , its got stuck in my throat on it for fecks sake !
alan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly the best song of all time in my opinion far superior to lets stop hanging out
veryexcellent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are amazing tracks, even if it was a single their review is still shit.
AprilF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=soap= wrote:
good job they took the time to read that it says its a promo on the sleeve Rolling Eyes and its called "two songs for free"
personally id have given it more than 7 , its got stuck in my throat on it for fecks sake !

Perhaps they cant read, or are just exceptionally stupid.

It also has, Not For Sale written on it. Interesting marketing slogan for a single dont you think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
veryexcellent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AprilF wrote:

It also has, Not For Sale written on it. Interesting marketing slogan for a single dont you think?

Haha, i think ur right, they mus be stupid Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, amusing, I'm another guy charged with reviewing this and despite never having heard of Reuben before (I know, I know, criminal, isn't it?) pretty much the first thing I noticed was the great big "two songs for free on it. That and the great big sheet of press material which said as much and came with it!

I was pleasantly surprised as well, a long way above the crap I've been handed recently, when some money comes my way I might just look into Reuben a bit further.
veryexcellent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised as well, a long way above the crap I've been handed recently, when some money comes my way I might just look into Reuben a bit further.

Hope you get some money soon then...You are missing out!
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness, if you get a promo copy of a single to review it probably says something like "PROMO - NOT FOR SALE".

Still some pretty sloppy journalism, and there's no need for shallow personal digs at bands. Not unless they act like cocks anyway, which Jamie obviously doesn't.
distilledcleopie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurmm - i feel sorry for reviewers really cause no matter what they say they're gonna piss people off .,. some people may despise a band and others love them.,.you can't win. BUT calling someone ugly is just wrong, what has that got to do with the music? (jamie isn't ugly and reuben are great) i'd like to see the person who reviewed that.,.
xx-xx
del

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I was offered this for my 'zine as well, but I declined it (I've reviewed far too much Reuben already). I don't know why they were sending them out as promos, seems a bit weird to me. Perhaps trying to get a bit more media coverage for the H*R tour? As promotional items tend to be released to highlight something else... often it's a tour promoting a record though, not vice versa.
del
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
soapy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the idea behind these cds was to help the tour too promote the albums seens as how the album came out awhile ago now and theres no singles being released this autumn.

little reuben sampler play
kid : hey that suppport band were good, wonder if they have any cds?
helpful teamer : here try this free sampler cd
kid (now at home) : wow , these songs rock ... whats that, hmm, "both tracks taken from debut album racecar is racecar backwards". available now! dude, im so getting that record!!
the end
AprilF

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! what a happy story! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sofy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That review sucks! The cd's fucking awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Reuben All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: