=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Download single bitrate / quality etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what bitrates/formats these things typically use? The only one I've ever bought was Muse's Stockholm Syndrome, which was a 128kbps wma, which is a shade shittier than one would desire. That was when the whole idea was really new though so I'm hoping the quality has improved since then Smile

D'you think when Jesus comes back he's ever gonna wanna see a fucking cross?
ric
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know at the moment but i'll try to find out
SirPsycho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a little about bitrates...MP3s usually come in at 128 - that's standard. Sometimes you get 'em at 192, but it's hard to hear that much difference to be honest - and they take up another 50% space on my MP3 player - which is always a pain in the arse.

WMA are meant to only require a bitrate of 64 to achieve a similar quality. The Windows Media Player shows that 64 is equal to CD quality. Generally, I have to agree, but sometimes, songs ripped at 64 sound a little trebly on a personal MP3 player.

If a 128 WMA sounded a bit shitty, I'd be blaming the original from which the distributor ripped/converted it.

Racecar sounds fine to me when I rip it as 64 WMA to my player, but for some reason, Lostprophets and Jane's Addiction sound a little hissy and tinny. Odd.
ric
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirPsycho wrote:
I know a little about bitrates...MP3s usually come in at 128 - that's standard. Sometimes you get 'em at 192, but it's hard to hear that much difference to be honest

you really can hear the difference between 128 and 192 - especially if you listen on a decent hifi.

i think rob will probably have an aneurism when he reads your post Smile

also 64kbps wma sounds equivalent to 128kbps mp3 (ish)
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ric wrote:
i think rob will probably have an aneurism when he reads your post Smile
More a wave of depression actually, that Microsoft et al have actually managed to convince people that 64kbps wma sounds like CD quality. Especially as I'm guessing SirPsycho is pretty young, and thus should still be able to hear much higher frequencies than me.

CD:

64kbps wma:

*sigh* Sad

So back to my question, would I be right in thinking iTunes et al usually sell at 128kbps?

ric
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am under the impression that you can pay slightly more for a higher bitrate...
colour_golden
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the pound signs in Rics eyes! lol

Last edited by colour_golden on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ric wrote:
i am under the impression that you can pay slightly more for a higher bitrate...
ooh, that would be really cool. And would also be going in any essays/exams I write for my Digital Economy module about versioning and value based pricing Smile

Aidan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything under 160kpbs mp3 annoys me... when I'm ripping stuff I either use 320kpbs mp3 or rip to wav then use PysTELdrop to convert to Normal VBR aac. Thats the best size/quality ratio I've found. All MHO though Smile
ric
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
ric wrote:
ooh, that would be really cool. And would also be going in any essays/exams I write for my Digital Economy module about versioning and value based pricing Smile

i'm only guessing.. don't take the things i've said about downloads/prices as facts!

Last edited by ric on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right i have a little question as you guys seem to know about this kinda thing and i don't, how meny songs should a 128mb mp3 player hold?, mine hold 35 - 40 but i don't convert my files i load them on as wma at 128 bitrate (i think).

And how is this for annoying i spend an hour working on a PCB (printed circuit board) for my audio mixer today and when it came to the final save ( it don't save it on this CAD programe as it saves every ten mins) and it could not save and it did not save every ten mins how gay, one hour of my life down the drain, i could have spent that time lisening to reuben!! Evil or Very Mad

She knows all about me, i don't even know who her friends are.

Would you rather live with guilt or live locked up?
SirPsycho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ric and Rob...

Lol - I'm 25, so my tolerance for high frequencies is a little shot!!! Like I said, WMA at 64 doesn't always sound quite right, so I know there is a difference. Interesting to see those frequency graphs as a comparison. And yes, I do also agree that MP3 at 192 does sound slightly better generally (and when downloading off the net, 192 seems to be more prevalent than 128) - but I listen to most music on a personal MP3 player these days, and dinky headphones don't do music justice... Hence, I'm not fussed about the bitrate so much. I like to get as much music on my player as I can - so WMA is my filetype of choice. It's quick and dirty but it suits!

Rob - de-aneurise yourself!!! I know as a music purist there is a difference, but I bet the majority of people can't hear it. My other half (a pop lover) had a CD she'd made using 64 & 92 bitrate MP3s, and she couldn't hear it was shite until I reburnt it for her with 192 versions of the same tracks!!!

Bill...speaking of file size...MP3s at 128 birate tend to take up righly a meg per minute of song. Let's say the average song is 4 minutes - that's 4mb. Based on that, a 128mb player would hold 32 songs...so you're nearly bang-on-the-bell as you are.
SirPsycho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - and yes, iTunes offer MP3s at 128kbps bitrate. But it looks like the iTunes software offers coversion to other filetypes, but not WMA. AAC seems very popular with the iPeople...
barrivia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Biffy released Jaggy Snake it was a 501kbps mp3
Deadkidjim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headphones generally make music sound far more seperated as you have a channel in each ear, surely? Far easier to distinguish instruments apart from one another... that's how it is for me anyway.

There is a massive difference between 64kbps and 190kbps wma.. maybe if you only hadthe music on in the background you wouldn't notice it, but I'd get really pissed off listening to it with the sound all shot and distortion.. doesn't do the songs justice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Releases All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: