=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REUBEN RARITIES ALBUM: We Should Have Gone To University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good but it has nothing on (One) Kick In The Mouth
uneducatedweasel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't made by the boys, but anyone who has heard it will surely agree that A Kick in The Shack should have been included. For those who don't know, KITS mixed with love shack. It works fantastically well.
clean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the CD and vinyl finally arrived the other day, been listening to the tunes and watching the vids. A fantastic send off for the boys, very emotional! Crying or Very sad
Banana Flight Case

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/14624/reviews/4137773

Drowned in Sound review.
Dan...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shit review from and idiot who knows nothing for what they stood for.
layersofhistory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InMe aren't awful...
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and another knee jerk reaction. He clearly did understand what they stood for, his point was it didn't get them anywhere and must've been awfully frustrating. Which is true.

Last edited by Nick on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aidan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

layersofhistory wrote:
InMe are so far beyond awful it's ridiculous...

FYP.
Banana Flight Case

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the review was pretty well balanced. One of the better ones I've read.
Pol pot/Christ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'...forgotten also-rans like Vex Red, Crackout and Fraid.'

Crackout are neither also-rans nor forgotton IMO.

Not a great review but there have been a lot worse and it is quite an intelligent one at least if a little pretentious.

Last edited by Pol pot/Christ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
chipstick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pol pot/Christ wrote:
Not a great review but there have been a lot worse and it is quite an intelligent one at least if a little pretentious.

That pretty much sums up most of DiS's reviews.
Jelger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've written a review for a dutch site. Nobody was ever interested, but I still wrote it, because I just wanted to get the name out there:

http://www.jimmyalter.nl/Reviews/6381/We_Should_Have_Gone_To_University

Here's a rough translation for you all:

Quote:
Compilations, often a way for bands to get the last bit of money fans have left. Examples are Michael Jackson and Jimi Hendrix, who almost have more compilation albums then real albums. It’s hard to imagine that undergroundband Reuben will make a lot of money if they would release a compilation, but they did it nevertheless.

Earlier this week you could read a short introduction to the trio from England. In the UK a popular undergroundband, on the European mainland virtually unknown. Their music is somewhat comparable to Biffy Clyro and Nirvana, with more than your daily dose of screams added. It’s Reuben in a nutshell. In june 2008 the band split up and a year later the band releases a compilation album. Would the Reuben-fan be satisfied with one disc with 15 songs? Yes. Would a DVD with all their singles and their Download 2007 performance suffice? Yes. Did the fan get it? No.

The fan get’s more, a lot more; two CD’s plus a DVD, with 47(!) songs on the cd’s and on the DVD a live performance at Download 2007, all the video’s, a video about the European Tour with Billy Talent, an interview and little glimpse of the band in the studio. A goldmine, the jackpot, a treasure chest. Very few bands give so much for only €20. That a band like Reuben does this is no surprise. The band has been loyal to their fans their whole career, something that was the same the other way around. That loyalty gets proven and payed back now.

The amount of material you get almost justifies buying the record, but its the content that matters. The real Reuben-fan can’t go wrong, but also the music listener with a love for, at times eardrum shattering heavy, guitars, screams and punk/grunge this is a great deal. The first CD opens with the five songs that are also found on Pilot EP, the first official release by the band, and the whole collection is ordered chronologically. What you hear is the evolution of the band, from youthfull, aggressive rock to grown up, still very aggressive but completely different rock. Xtramilerecordings, the label that releases the package, didn’t do half-assed work, because the single versions of ‘Eating Only Apples’, ‘Stuck In My Throath’ en ‘Let’s Stop Hanging Out’, are included, which only differ minimal from the album versions. To top it all off you also get a handful of live songs, including a cover of the Gorrilaz’ ‘Feel Good Inc.’, Nince Inch Nails’ The Hand That Feeds and Reuben’s magnus opus Suffocation of the Soul.

Besides the flood of ‘new’ material, you also get a DVD including all the video’s of the band, one of which is the brilliant fake moustache-video that goes with ‘Freddy Kreuger’, and the performance of Download 2007. That festival spot, on the mainstage, was probably the biggest chance they ever had as a band, but the show isn’t one of the highlights of the compilation. It’s nice to get a chance to see the band live, bur singer/guitarist Jamie sounds like he is out of breath constantly and the show is on the short side, only 7 songs. It doesn’t hurt the compilation, however, because you get an amount of material worth far more than 20€.

Is the package only for the real fan? On one hand it is, but on the other there’s no better way to get to know the band at last. From ‘Alpha Signal Seven’ and ‘Scared of the Police’ to the superheavy Christmas single ‘Christmas is Awesome’ and ‘The Last Time’, it’s all 100% Reuben. If you like heavy rock that almost crosses the line with Metal, and you can handle a fair amount of screams, than you should do yourself a favor and give Reuben a chance. (Eventhough the band is broken up) And ‘We Should have gone to University’ is a great start to do so.
kingjoe

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up mine direct from xtra mile when they did a 9.99 deal over easter this year...
Was going to buy a copy for a friend but the price had gone back up - however HMV sell the whole thing for 9.99 free delivery if anyone still wanted to get their hands on one.
RIPreubenRIP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after initially purchasing the 2CD+DVD edition of the album as it was released, I stupidly borrowed the album to a Friend of mine, and her Boyfriend somehow managed to DESTROY the beautifully designed case . . . and now the only versions I can find to replace it are Amazon for £122 or Play for £96 . . . . . . . . . If I cannot find a replacement I will be forced to kill the guy who wrecked mine . . . PLEASE HELP SAVE ME FROM SERVING A LIFE SENTANCE!
ric
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need to post the same thing 3 times..

try contacting xtramile directly, they may be able to help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Releases All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 35 of 36

Jump to: