=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REUBEN RARITIES ALBUM: We Should Have Gone To University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagship

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why he has reviewed the songs anyway, this isn't an album, which has been created as a set whole piece, it is a mosaic of songs from throughout their career including live ones, radio 1 shows, everything.. an album is so different to that, if he's gonna review anything review the features on the dvd or something
onedaymyfriend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=Henry= wrote:
onedaymyfriend wrote:
I've just paid Xtra Mile extra to send my stuff via Special Delivery tomoz; so I get it on Friday. Yes, I know I'm sad, but going away early Sat morn & really wanna take it away with me...

how much are you paying to do that? I am going away on saturday too and would like the compilation on my ipod to drive with if nothing else, do you think the 'couple of days' quoted for the ETA of the order including the vinyl would mean it arrives on friday or not?

also its great to see that people here like XKCD as well! people who like Reuben like many awesome things it would seem. Smile

I paid them £7 for Special Delivery. The main reason I did this, is because Royal Mail are striking in my area 2moz, but not in London; where Xtra Mile are based. So my order will be in my area by Friday, but won't be guaranteed to be delivered, because of the backlog from Thurs.

D~
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagship wrote:
I don't see why he has reviewed the songs anyway, this isn't an album, which has been created as a set whole piece, it is a mosaic of songs from throughout their career including live ones, radio 1 shows, everything.. an album is so different to that, if he's gonna review anything review the features on the dvd or something

Well like they said, if they get something from a PR company, they should review it. The main problem is that this isn't a review, it is an opinion delivered as a review.

Review: A critical appraisal of a book, play, work of art etc.

Opinion: A view or judgment about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
If you look at any of his other reviews he goes into quite some depth over the album, but this is 2 paragraphs saying its pish. Naturally he doesn't have to like it, and sure by not liking it he would see no favour from any of us, but he could have at least gone into some details of the songs, got the facts about the band right (10 years not 8 ) and who knows, maybe mentioned some of the things about the cd's and dvd?

Instead it is swathing attack. Regardless of what he says it is.

In summary:
This is a review of an opinion.

Last edited by petrolmonkey on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
worntobeseen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrolmonkey wrote:
flagship wrote:

Well like they said, if they get something from a PR company, they should review it. The main problem is that this isn't a review, it is an opinion delivered as a review.

Opinion: A view or judgment about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
If you look at any of his other reviews he goes into quite some depth over the album, but this is 2 paragraphs saying its pish. Naturally he doesn't have to like it, and sure by not liking it he would see no favour from any of us, but he could have at least gone into some details of the songs, got the facts about the band right (10 years not 8 ) and who knows, maybe mentioned some of the things about the cd's and dvd?

In summary:

Well said sir, I agree 100% with your review of an opinion Smile
onedaymyfriend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onedaymyfriend wrote:
=Henry= wrote:
onedaymyfriend wrote:
I've just paid Xtra Mile extra to send my stuff via Special Delivery tomoz; so I get it on Friday. Yes, I know I'm sad, but going away early Sat morn & really wanna take it away with me...

how much are you paying to do that? I am going away on saturday too and would like the compilation on my ipod to drive with if nothing else, do you think the 'couple of days' quoted for the ETA of the order including the vinyl would mean it arrives on friday or not?

also its great to see that people here like XKCD as well! people who like Reuben like many awesome things it would seem. Smile

I paid them £7 for Special Delivery. The main reason I did this, is because Royal Mail are striking in my area 2moz, but not in London; where Xtra Mile are based. So my order will be in my area by Friday, but won't be guaranteed to be delivered, because of the backlog from Thurs.

D~

Also Royal Mail have told me that my Special Delivery will be delivered by a Royal Mail office manager! Haha
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onedaymyfriend wrote:

Also Royal Mail have told me that my Special Delivery will be delivered by a Royal Mail office manager! Haha

I wonder if the have more hit points than a standard Royal Mail postman?
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived today - nice packaging, look forward to giving it a listen/watch.

I'm going to defend that negative review and say it's a pretty fair selection of comments. Any "professional" giving this more than 7/10 would have to have their objectivity questioned. It is 100% for fans, there isn't any quality control, it is far to long for anyone other than obsessives. It's a great send off, it has some gems on for sure, but it's obviously not up to their album standards, and if you were faced with 3 hours of music by a band you'd never been over-impressed by you'd probably get into a pretty negative mindset!

Also since I'm posting, I'm surprised so many people were depressed by the Jamie interview. I felt relieved - it was good to know that the very negative assumptions I'd made about what happened at the end were valid, and that they were responded to in a sensible/honest way. I'm glad that after a year he finally felt able to say these things in public rather than leave his fans in the dark, and I think with that interview and the release there's now some very decent closure on a very cool ten years Smile

D'you think when Jesus comes back he's ever gonna wanna see a fucking cross?
+Look

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Im new... I Preordered 'We should....' and i was expecting it to arrive yesterday, has anyone elses order been late? Just outa curiosity...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+Look wrote:
Hi, Im new... I Preordered 'We should....' and i was expecting it to arrive yesterday, has anyone elses order been late? Just outa curiosity...

Yes a lot of people haven't received it, if you look through the last few pages you will find your answer...
+Look

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll have a look.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worntobeseen wrote:
petrolmonkey wrote:
flagship wrote:

In summary:

Well said sir, I agree 100% with your review of an opinion Smile

I also Agree. and I also agree with the comment made by Rob. It is a package for fans and I can see why he'd not be overly pleased to have to listen to it. It was the way he delivered the "review" though. It wasn't a critical piece of journalism. This is my qualm, the way in which it was delivered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DiscoDave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Mine arrived today - nice packaging, look forward to giving it a listen/watch.

I'm going to defend that negative review and say it's a pretty fair selection of comments. Any "professional" giving this more than 7/10 would have to have their objectivity questioned. It is 100% for fans, there isn't any quality control, it is far to long for anyone other than obsessives. It's a great send off, it has some gems on for sure, but it's obviously not up to their album standards, and if you were faced with 3 hours of music by a band you'd never been over-impressed by you'd probably get into a pretty negative mindset!

Also since I'm posting, I'm surprised so many people were depressed by the Jamie interview. I felt relieved - it was good to know that the very negative assumptions I'd made about what happened at the end were valid, and that they were responded to in a sensible/honest way. I'm glad that after a year he finally felt able to say these things in public rather than leave his fans in the dark, and I think with that interview and the release there's now some very decent closure on a very cool ten years Smile

Exactly...

To be honest, I couldn't care less about anybody else's opinon or infact 'Review' of any music I decide to buy. People shouldn't get so worked up about it. I'm just gonna stick my copy on when it HOPEFULLY arrives tomorrow and enjoy it like I know I am going to. If someone doesn't want to listen to it, and decides to inform everyone about how poor he feels it is, so what? His loss. Or not in his opinon. Jamie has stated it is just something he's always wanted to release from day 1, and it's a little something for the fans. I'm a fan, and I can't wait to get it. Job done.

And regarding the interview, you're spot on. Yes, it's sad that the reasons for the split are what they are, but at least we all know. And although there may never be any new 'Reuben' material released after WSHGTU, at least they may still be able to hang out alot more eventually. A cheeky spliff for old times sake or something Very Happy
Seriously tho, you get what I mean. At least he's been completely honest about it. But then again, he seems to be an unbelievably honest guy. Just a shame that the music industry has lost what could have been a big UK Band. Much bigger than most people seem to realise, possibly including themselves.
Dan...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see The Last Time put in the charts, I love it Very Happy
worntobeseen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope I catch you crying alone

EPIC!
Tomo-L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it better when I was at least excited for it to arrive in the morning, now I know it won't arrive for at least a few days is even more depressing than when the postman metaphorically posts a huge nothing through my door when I'm pissing myself with anticipation.

This morning there was a fucking Netto leaflet, you can imagine my disgust.

I'm slightly overexaggerating to let it sink in how much I really want this DVD. I'm actually fine with waiting, I'm just annoyed it's been delayed this much. Sad

Last edited by Tomo-L on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Releases All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 27 of 36

Jump to: