=REUBEN= Forum Index =REUBEN=
Welcome to the official =REUBEN= forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prediction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a hold of their self titled that will do you. Jules Vernes Dream is immense. The Telestic Disfracture. Is also good but they just released Hesperus and I included a song on my Mixtape for whomever I sent it to on here (it was sent to wishbone and it was one of the 3 or 4 bands he said he would listen to again so check it).

Try to get hold of Bossk if you haven't already. Also a Band called Heights. I think they are from Reading. They Played at a local pub where I sound engineer and they played for 30 minutes non stop and were Awesome. AWESOME!

And I will check those bands you mentioned.
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and Nile are only good for George Kollias. Immense double bass drum. I know it isn't everything but when you can do that it doesn't matter what else you can do.
Aidan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrolmonkey wrote:
Also a Band called Heights.

Album launch gig on the 21st of June in Bracknell! I adore Heights... when/where did they play when you did sound? If it was one of the last two Sundays, I actually had to cover the guitarist's job down Cellar Bar in Bracknell so he could play that gig! The guitarist and bass player used to be in Flipcycle, who were amaaaazing. Great musicianship, great songwriting, great guys! Very cool to see the name getting around already! I've done their sound about 4 or 5 times now...
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidan wrote:
petrolmonkey wrote:

Album launch gig on the 21st of June in Bracknell! I adore Heights... when/where did they play when you did sound? If it was one of the last two Sundays, I actually had to cover the guitarist's job down Cellar Bar in Bracknell so he could play that gig! The guitarist and bass player used to be in Flipcycle, who were amaaaazing. Great musicianship, great songwriting, great guys! Very cool to see the name getting around already! I've done their sound about 4 or 5 times now...

2 weeks ago I think. I didn't really 'do sound' as all I had to control was a kick drum. But fuck what a kick drum.

I just sat at my desk in awe and amazement. I really wanted to go to their album night but unfortunately am working that night.
Aidan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I did sound for them down cellar bar (a venue where normally the kick, bass and vocals go through the PA, nothing else) they'd mic'd up the entire kit, just for fun, and EQd to fuck, so the toms had that 'Tool' sound. You know the one - every time one gets hit, it feels like you're being punched in the face. All I had to do was chase levels, so generally I was free to enjoy the earth moving quality of their sound. Immense.
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidan wrote:
The first time I did sound for them down cellar bar (a venue where normally the kick, bass and vocals go through the PA, nothing else) they'd mic'd up the entire kit, just for fun, and EQd to fuck, so the toms had that 'Tool' sound. You know the one - every time one gets hit, it feels like you're being punched in the face. All I had to do was chase levels, so generally I was free to enjoy the earth moving quality of their sound. Immense.

Yeah pretty much the same with regards to what goes through the PA. Couldn't be bothered with bass as last time I did the sub overheated and kept on cutting out. I just said 'go nuts' (I'm a professional by the way) and they did. Luckily I have compressors for the hole level thing.
Nuclear Holiday

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidan wrote:
petrolmonkey wrote:

You going mate? It's going to be fucking awesome. a genuine freakshow are playing too. Wilde theatre sound should be immense too..

Just got into some of the old flipcycle back cat too. heard poetry for ages, flight 19 is amazing though. such a good band
Aidan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll be there, can't wait! Godwits are doing an acoustic set too, they're fantastic. Apparently Jumping Ships are really good too, but I haven't heard them or A genuine freakshow. As for flippy, you got all the old EP01 stuff? I've got a collection of loads of random demos and stuff somewhere, it's all absolute gold.
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I engineered for A Genuine Freakshow too that night. Biggest cluster fuck ever. It was going well till them Sad
Aidan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Well, I still remain hopeful for the 21st. It's going to be epic, if just for Heights and Godwits.

Oh, and I forgot to say - look out for some guest guitaring from Al Heslop (Heights) on the forthcoming Shadowboxer EP... Very Happy
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidan wrote:
Oh dear. Well, I still remain hopeful for the 21st. It's going to be epic, if just for Heights and Godwits.

Oh, and I forgot to say - look out for some guest guitaring from Al Heslop (Heights) on the forthcoming Shadowboxer EP... Very Happy

They're good its just hard to engineer when you don't have control over the majority of things.
james

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's like yr handed a vocal PA, 5 mics, stands and leads and told to 'Engineer' a 4 piece band. Mon tae fuck eh?!? The things yi do for 50 quids...

Aidan wrote:
Chipstick: Destroyer of dreams
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alex Ver 1.0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrolmonkey wrote:
sad_statue_27 wrote:
petrolmonkey wrote:
Strapping Young Lad is just bad people screaming

Are you one of those people that thinks death metal musicians aren't in any way talented, and Dillinger Escape Plan is just noise?

Hold on. On many times I've agreed with you over Nile. I also listen to Aborted, Dying Fetus etc. and Dillinger Escape Plan is anything but noise! Plus James will back me up over what is effectively Ambient Doom Metal (5ive, Boris, Bossk etc.)

However my (only) time of listening to Strapping You Lad just reminded me of Converge. What could have been excellent Hardcore/Metalcore was ruined by distorted lyrics.

Hush your mouth over Converge. Converge are GOD.
Jane Doe = gobsmacking. No Heroes = also.
Also, he who said keyboards are bad in rock music. To you, I say, Crimes and Young Machetes by The Blood Brothers. And Frames, as aforementioned.

I'm a bit pissed off about all my favourite bands breaking up whilst I'm away from Blighty. It's quite depressing, actually. Makes you feel kind of powerless. Probably means I should get off my arse and start playing music again...
petrolmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Ver 1.0 wrote:
petrolmonkey wrote:
sad_statue_27 wrote:
petrolmonkey wrote:
Strapping Young Lad is just bad people screaming

Are you one of those people that thinks death metal musicians aren't in any way talented, and Dillinger Escape Plan is just noise?

Hold on. On many times I've agreed with you over Nile. I also listen to Aborted, Dying Fetus etc. and Dillinger Escape Plan is anything but noise! Plus James will back me up over what is effectively Ambient Doom Metal (5ive, Boris, Bossk etc.)

However my (only) time of listening to Strapping You Lad just reminded me of Converge. What could have been excellent Hardcore/Metalcore was ruined by distorted lyrics.

Hush your mouth over Converge. Converge are GOD.
Jane Doe = gobsmacking. No Heroes = also.
Also, he who said keyboards are bad in rock music. To you, I say, Crimes and Young Machetes by The Blood Brothers. And Frames, as aforementioned.

I'm a bit pissed off about all my favourite bands breaking up whilst I'm away from Blighty. It's quite depressing, actually. Makes you feel kind of powerless. Probably means I should get off my arse and start playing music again...

Also I never actually said they were bad in rock music, just that they can fuck off in this case (referring to the dream supergroup).
Nuclear Holiday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidan wrote:

I dont mate, may have to ask al if theres any way to get hold of it all.
and genuine freakshow are amazing.. i can totally see how it would hard to get the mix right tho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    =REUBEN= Forum Index -> Reuben All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: